Middle School Athletic Update
Dear Parents of Central #301 Middle School Athletes,
On Friday, July 31, it was announced that the IESA Board of Directors reversed their previous decision to cancel the Fall cross-country season. Following guidance issued by Governor Pritzker’s Office regarding youth sports. Cross-country was determined to be a “lower risk” category of sport and allowed to hold practices and interscholastic games.
At this time, the IESA Board of Directors has approved a plan for the return of Fall regular season cross country contests and District #301 will offer co-ed cross-country for 6th – 8th boys and girls. The IESA has developed a plan to provide guidance to schools, coaches, parents and officials for safe operating practices of middle school sports. That plan can be viewed by accessing the following link: IESA Plan for 2020-21.
To participate in Central #301 cross-country, the following expectations must be met:
- Students must register on 8to18 (https://il.8to18.com/PrairieKnolls for 6th and 7th grade and https://il.8to18.com/bcms/ for 8th grade),
- Students must turn in an up-to-date physical at their respective school. Physicals expire after 395 days,
- As usual, there will be a $100.00 fee to join cross-country. This fee is due by the first competition,
- Joining cross-country means that you are committed to being part of the team full time. Students that are home during remote learning days will be expected to be at Prairie Knolls each day by 3:15 p.m. for practices or contests. Students not in-person attendance on the day of practice will be required to provide a Pre-certification slip for their coaches in order to participate in practice that day.
- The student day will begin at 7:30 a.m. and end at 2:08 p.m. Student athletes will leave the building to go home at the end of the day, and return for practice by 3:15 p.m.
- The first practice will be held at PKMS on Wednesday, August 19th. Practices on the 19th, 20th, and 21st will be from 8:00 – 9:30am. at PKMS. Beginning Monday, August 24th, practices will run from 3:15 – 5:00 p.m. at PKMS. A complete practice / meet schedule will be given to parents during the first week of practice.
Please note that 7th and 8th grade football and 7th and 8th grade volleyball are officially canceled for the Fall. We are aware that the IHSA has moved those sports to the Spring for high schools, but as of yet there has been no decision made regarding middle school participation in these sports. Additional information will be shared regarding other athletic activities as it becomes available.
We thank you for your patience and support of middle school athletics.
Matthew E. Haug, Principal
Brody Hamel, Athletic Director
Prairie Knolls Middle School
Carie Walter, Principal
Dan Palmiter, Athletic Director
Central Middle School